"The wealthy, not only by private fraud but also by common laws, do every day pluck and snatch away from the people some part of their daily living. Therefore, when I consider and weigh in my mind these commonwealths which nowadays do flourish, I perceive nothing but a certain conspiracy of rich men in procuring their own commodities under the name and authority of the commonwealth.

They invent and devise all means and crafts, first how to keep safely without fear of losing that which they have unjustly gathered together, and next how to hire and abuse the work and labor of the people for as little money and effort as possible."

Thomas More, Utopia

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ying & Yang

Before and after. Truth and deceit. Actions and consequences. It’s funny how most things in the universe follow the expected flow of nature. For example, if I stub my toe on something immovable I can be reasonably assured that pain will shortly follow. Likewise, it would not be of particular note if, as a result of my consistently not going to work, I were fired from my job. Or, even better, were it demonstrated that I was chronically incompetent in my duties at work one would reasonably expect my employer to seek my separation. In other words, certain actions (or inactions) have expected consequences.

What if I were to tell you, however, that I have found an example of the opposite being true? Would you believe that there is a realm where incompetence and venality are rewarded with wealth and praise? The world of political punditry is just such a place gentle reader. Jebediah Reed of Radar Online.com has just chronicled the divergent fortunes of eight political commentators—four who accurately predicted the consequences of America’s illegal invasion of Iraq four years ago, and four who sang its praises to the tune of riotous applause. Behold “The Iraq Gamble” and learn, as I have, that pigs do fly.

No comments: