"The wealthy, not only by private fraud but also by common laws, do every day pluck and snatch away from the people some part of their daily living. Therefore, when I consider and weigh in my mind these commonwealths which nowadays do flourish, I perceive nothing but a certain conspiracy of rich men in procuring their own commodities under the name and authority of the commonwealth.

They invent and devise all means and crafts, first how to keep safely without fear of losing that which they have unjustly gathered together, and next how to hire and abuse the work and labor of the people for as little money and effort as possible."

Thomas More, Utopia

Friday, June 26, 2009

US torture revisited

Here's the part the neo-con apologists for US torture never emphasize (hat tip "David" at EMS News):

"Yasser tearfully described that when he reached the top of the steps 'the party began…They started to put the [muzzle] of the rifle [and] the wood from the broom into [my anus]. They entered my privates from behind.'...Yasser estimated that he was penetrated five or six times during this initial sodomy incident and saw blood 'all over my feet' through a small hole in the hood covering his eyes."
–Physicians for Human Rights, Broken Laws, Broken Lives: Medical Evidence of Torture by US Personnel and Its Impact
The rest

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was yasser at a monthly Chiefs meeting??

Anonymous said...

Was Burge a consultant at Gitmo??

Coldtype said...

Very relevant questions indeed.

stephen billinghurst said...

It is a lair? I do not like, 'lair'. It sounds like a trap.

I cannot get to this site except on my own blog. Okay, if I try Coldtype his "lair", I suppose, then. I hope I do not forget he has a lair, think of an animal. Think of Osama Bin Laden.

Coldtype generic is "writing worth reading".

Coldtype's Lair, the ex-policeman who put in his twenty and retired at 40% pay, twanged on me for saying, "nigger", but he has Mark Twain on here. That is "nigger" nine ways from Sunday. Thanks for linking me to Mark Twain's, ALL Mark Twain's enword usages throughout his writing, right here, a matter of two seconds' work. I do not get it. How would you explain the mixed messages? The truth for once.

Uh, yeah, the blogroll is there, I guess. These are the blogs you recommend? There are too many. How do I use a list of a hundred? Alphabetically?

Coldtype said...

"How do I use a list of a hundred? Alphabetically?"
-SB

Take your time Stephen there is no rush.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it, Coldie, that Stephen fella, I mean. Is he on the legit?

"leftisthebest"

Coldtype said...

He's legitimately troubled Lefty, of that there's no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Torture is tolerated by the U.S. government. As long as we, or our friends, are not on the receiving end.

"leftisthebest"

Coldtype said...

I'm still waiting for the personalized memorials for the victim's of the US supported coup in Honduras. Where's the Honduran Neda?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Coldie. Notice how the main press has ignored the week long jailing of Cythia McKinney in Israel? Unless I missed it, Obama made no comments.

"leftisthebest"

Coldtype said...

You didn't miss it. You can't miss what didn't happen.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm,
Coldie and Rue St Michel have not published in awhile. I wonder if they are vacationing together?

As friends only, of course.


"leftisthebest"

Coldtype said...

Give me a day or two Lefty. I have no knowledge of Rue's whereabouts I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

I can only hope this really did happen. Then he should have been beheaded like Perl!!!